Monday, February 22, 2010

Interview: Erin La Rue

Name: Erin La Rue
Age: 19

Where are you from?:
Tacoma, WA, currently in Louisiana. (Soon to be Tacoma again though...)

Tools of the trade:
Canon 40D, previously Canon 350D

Artisitic influences and how much does it influence your work?:
Tim Burton has been and always will be one of my biggest inspirations. His stylistic tendencies in his films are always so beautiful to me, and I feel he has his own artistic fingerprint; his work is easily recognizable, and hard to mimic. His story-telling methods are another thing that I admire about him, and those alone are often what inspires me for projects I work on.

Why do you like photography/art and what do you get out of it?:
I've had a camera in my hand since I was 14. I remember, before being a photographer, that there were so many instances where I caught myself wishing I could've been capable of capturing a beautiful moment, which, ultimately, is why I have a passion for photography. Once I had a camera (a regular point and shoot) in my hands, I was taking pictures of everything I wanted to remember- many of which were for myself and never shared. Eventually I began showing my work to others, in which I received praise, and further encouraged me to continue doing what I love.

What motivates and inspires you?(films/music/people ect):
Like many photographers/artists, there have been times where I thought this wasn't what I'm meant to do. If it weren't for people like my boyfriend, I don't think I'd still have the drive or motivation I have now. People like him have encouraged me to do what I'm passionate about, and for that I'm so, so thankful.

Hearing I've inspired someone is a feeling that's indescribable- the fact that I can do that for someone is something I'll never be able to get over.

Where do you see yourself in the future?:
I don't necessarily have a clear vision of what my life will be like in the future, I only have dreams of what I want it to be like. I hope to be able to make a living off of doing what I loved, however much of a challenge it may be. In the end, my biggest sense of accomplishment is when clients, friends, etc, are in love with the photos I've taken of them; whether it was the photos making them feel beautiful, important, or otherwise.

Where did you learn how to edit and do you have any tips?:
I've been using some sort of photo editor since I was 13; the first software I used was PaintShop. I used to create layouts for websites and other forms of graphic design. Somehow that knowledge transferred to editing photos, and I've built up that skill from there. My only tip is to experiment! If you don't have any basic knowledge of Photoshop, I would suggest reading news articles on sites like DeviantArt, where resources and tutorials are endless.

Who/what/where are important parts of your photographic process?:
I wouldn't say I have any specific process for my photos. I'm inspired to shoot certain frames or use a certain composition once I'm on location with the model. The model themselves is usually what gives me ideas for how I want to photos to look, especially if I've never met them in person before- I need to have a basic sense of their features so the end result is flattering and successful.

Film or digital?:
Strictly digital, for now.

Anything else you'd like to share? (favorite bands/movies ect.):
I'm kind of obsessed with video games. Especially Halo.

Links:
www.flickr.com/photos/erinlarue/
www.twitter.com/erinlarue

Photos:




No comments:

LinkWithin